Hello everyone, today we will discuss with you the safety instructions before fiber optic testing. Some people may not understand why the safety instructions of the optical fiber should be emphasized. This is because once the operation is improper, it will not only cause irreversible damage to the naked eye, but also affect the service life of the optical fiber inspection equipment, or even directly damage the equipment.
01.How to avoid damage to the eyes
• Under no circumstances should you look directly at the optical fiber.
• The wavelength used is invisible to the naked eye (the light that actually transmits data is invisible to the naked eye).
• If the power of the energized optical fiber is large enough, the light emitted by it will cause permanent damage to eyesight.
• If the equipment currently in use is occasionally exposed to its radiation, it will not cause damage to eyesight.
• If you are told that the optical fiber is not energized, please treat it as if it is energized.
• Never stand in front of an optical fiber patch panel unless all optical fiber connectors are equipped with protective caps.
• Comply with the safety requirements set by your organization.
On the device level of fiber inspection
• The equipment test recommendations are all passive tests, that is, there should be no light in the optical fiber.
• Light on the optical fiber will cause inaccurate testing.
• If there is too much light, it will damage the optical power interface of the test instrument.
Choose the most suitable test instrument
Why is it strictly forbidden for us to directly observe whether the light source has output during the test? Because the wavelengths used in optical communications are all invisible wavelengths, the wavelengths of multimode fiber transmission are 850nm and 1300nm, and the wavelengths of single-mode fiber transmission data are 1310nm and 1550nm, so even if we observe with the naked eye, there is no light output. , But in fact, this kind of light may cause permanent damage to human eyes, so be careful.
Of course, as long as we pay attention to the above two safety issues, it is still very safe to use the fiber tester itself. Of course, in the process of use, even if there is a strong light device at the opposite end, the power meter of Fluke Networks still has a large range. It will be easily damaged. At the same time, the OTDR type instrument will automatically give an alarm, prompting that the opposite end is detected and the test cannot be performed, which has a good protective effect, so there is no need to worry about the instrument being damaged.