Main parameters of the optical modules
1. Transmission rate
The transmission rate refers to the number of bits transmitted per second in units of Mb/s or Gb/s. Main rates: 100M, Gigabit, 2.5G, 4.25G and 10G, 25G, 40G, 56G, 100G, 120G, etc.
Therefore, based on different data rate, our optical transceiver modules arrange 100M, 1G/2G/4G SFP module, 10G SFP+/XFP, 16G SFP+, 25G SFP28, 40G QSFP+, 56G QSFP+, 100G CFP/CFP2/CFP4/QSFP28 Module.
2. Transmission distance
The transmission distance of the optical module is divided into short distance, medium distance and long distance. It is generally considered that a short distance is 2 km or less, a medium distance of 10 to 20 km, and a long distance of 30 km, 40 km or more.
■ The transmission distance of the optical module is limited, mainly because the optical signal has a certain loss and dispersion when transmitted in the optical fiber.
• Loss is the loss of light energy due to absorption and scattering of the medium and leakage of light as it travels through the fiber. This energy is dissipated at a certain rate as the transmission distance increases.
• Dispersion is mainly caused by the unequal speed of electromagnetic waves of different wavelengths propagating in the same medium, which causes different wavelength components of the optical signal to reach the receiving end at different times due to the accumulation of transmission distance, resulting in pulse broadening and thus inability to distinguish Signal value.
• Therefore, users need to select the appropriate optical module according to their actual networking conditions to meet different transmission distance requirements.
3. Center wavelength
• The center wavelength refers to the optical band used for optical signal transmission. Currently, there are three main types of optical wavelengths commonly used in optical modules: the 850 nm band, the 1310 nm band, and the 1550 nm band.
• 850nm band: mostly used for short distance transmission of ≤2km
• 1310nm and 1550nm bands: mostly used for medium and long distance transmission, more than 2km transmission.
In addition, users also need to confirm which brand of their equipment, which will decide the compatiblity of the SFP transceiver modules.